Thursday, April 3, 2008

Health Insurance...Is it worth it?

I went to the doctor last week for a routine visit. His bill arrived in the mail today. It was for $110. I was surprised. Not at the total cost, but that in the past while having health insurance through FS, the same visit was $125...and that was my "co-pay."

As of now, I have no health insurance. (I have a new job, and that particular benefit will begin in two days.) So with no health insurance, I pay $110 --- which is $15 less than I paid in the past.

Hmmm...while I worked at FS, I paid a ridiculous amount of money for "health insurance" coverage each pay period. Then on top of that, I paid $125 for a regular visit...which was supposed to be a "partial" payment.

I have no monthly insurance costs, and on top of that, it is CHEAPER to pay the doctor bill outright?!?

Why have health insurance then? Oh yes, I know...in case something serious happens so that you do not have a huge bill. Would the bill be that large, because in this case, is sure wasn't! And the same has happened with medicine! The pharmacist I went to would run the out-of-pocket or "cash" price of the medicine. If it was cheaper than my co-pay, I would pay for it in cash.

So in what other ways do health insurance providers scam the consumer to make a profit? I think I will be writing them a letter!

Thank you for ripping me off, Health Alliance....you dirty rat.

No comments: