Thursday, January 10, 2008

Visiting FS

I headed out to my former place of employment to pick up my W-2 forms...it is great to be a visitor at day care. I get to see all of the kids again, yet I am not bogged down with everything that goes with caring for them (or at least with all of the C-R-A-P that has been known to occur at said day care, which some of you other former - and yes, I suppose even current, employees are all too familiar with).
A few years ago, Grandma Mildred gave me a child-sized guitar. She had hoped that I would play it for some of the kids. Well, the only time I played the guitar was for my proficiency exam in one of my music classes at Illinois State. While working in the Kindergarten classroom at FS during the first two weeks of November, the kids would use markers, paper and quite a bit of scotch tape and staples to make "guitars" so that they could sing while strumming. One kid, J even made a microphone for his guitar. Then C had a strap on his guitar that went around his shoulder. These little rock stars were really gettin' down on a daily basis.
Hence today, as I came across the heavily dusty guitar in the living room closet that Grandma Mildred gave to me those years ago, I decided to donate this guitar to the Kindergarten classroom rock stars. When I first entered the classroom with the guitar, the kids were happy to see me and expecting some fine entertainment. They were slightly disappointed that I have long ago lost the musical ability to play the guitar (or rather, never really had the ability to play the guitar) but, when I told them I was giving the guitar to the classroom, there was nothing but excitement.
Following some short solos and some group effort to figure out this real guitar, the head teacher decided that there had been enough noise, so the guitar had to be put away. No worries...there is always tomorrow!
Rock on, friends....Rock. On!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so curious about the behind the scenes stuff at FS. Overall Henry had such a good experience there and we're glad to have Ms. Tina at the new daycare.
Hooray for giving the guitar to the kindergarteners!